Summary: Silk Road Medical, Inc. is a public medical device company located in Sunnyvale, California, that is focused on reducing the risk of stroke and its devastating impact. The company has pioneered a new approach for the treatment of carotid artery disease called TransCarotid Artery Revascularization (TCAR). TCAR is a clinically proven procedure combining surgical principles of neuroprotection with minimally invasive endovascular techniques to treat blockages in the carotid artery at risk of causing a stroke.
We are looking for a highly motivated individual to join us as Vice President & General Counsel and be a key member of the executive leadership team and lead corporate strategic and tactical legal initiatives.
The Vice President & General Counsel will provide senior management with effective advice on company strategies and their implementation, manage the legal function, and obtain and oversee the work of outside counsel. The Vice President & General Counsel will be directly involved in complex business transactions and in the negotiation of critical contracts.
This position carries strategic responsibility as well as being the primary driver for tactical implementation. This position will report directly to the CEO and will manage a budget and build a team necessary to support related activities. The successful candidate must demonstrate excellent communication and collaboration skills, a strategic, innovative mindset, and a high level of competence in legal activities in a public, medical device company.
- Develop and maintain legal vision, goals and objectives for Silk Road Medical and the Legal Department.
- Assume ultimate responsibility for ensuring that Silk Road Medical conducts its business in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations. Handle a variety of legal issues relevant to research and development, manufacturing, sales, training and support.
- Structure and manage the company’s internal legal function and staff. Select, manage and evaluate all outside counsel.
- Advise on legal aspects of the company’s financing activities, including assessing and advising on financing efforts of all kinds, including public offerings, debt transactions, and other securities related transactions.
- Participate in the definition and development of corporate policies, procedures and programs and provide counsel and guidance on legal matters.
- Drafting, review, approve and provide oversight of all company agreements, including key agreements related to suppliers and vendors, payers, distributors, clinical trials, software and technology licensing, employment and consulting.
- Provide legal advice and counsel relating to the company’s international expansion in select geographies.
- Oversee corporate governance, including maintenance of corporate records for the company and subsidiaries and securities law matters.
- Actively participate in corporate level transactions, including identifying key issues and risks, working closely with other members of the company’s management team and informing and advising the company’s Board of Directors as needed.
- Review all promotional and product marketing material and implements and oversees appropriate measures to comply with applicable fraud, waste and abuse regulations.
- In conjunction with our Office of Medical Affairs, oversee the company’s compliance program, including applicable policies, procedures and training, and coordination with other internal business functions.
- Advise the company on litigation risks of possible business decisions, manages and oversees threatened and actual litigation or other legal proceedings, and advises on appropriate strategy to defend or resolve litigation.
- Oversee the company’s intellectual property strategy and enforcement, including protection of new ideas, management of company’s patent and trademark portfolio and web-domains, and work to ensure intellectual property is identified and protected.
- Provide legal advice and counsel regarding the company’s human resources policies and practices.
- Also desirable is a background in 1) Corporate Governance and Securities laws in order to advise regarding and manage the company’s compliance with U.S. securities laws and NASDAQ requirements, including the preparation and filing of periodic filings (10-K, 10-Qs, 8-Ks, etc.), Section 16 filings, proxy statements, annual reports, registration statements, and other securities filings as necessary and support of Board and Board committee related activities including the Annual Stockholder meeting and general Board compliance activities, or 2) Merger and Acquisition experience in the pharma or medical device space.
Silk Road Medical prides itself on its ability to hire individuals with a strong intellectual acumen and critical thinking skills and the successful Vice President & General Counsel will be no exception to these requirements.
- Exceptional communicator with strong written and verbal communication skills. Given the truly groundbreaking nature of this company, this individual’s ability to communicate effectively will be instrumental to his/her success.
- He or she will possess strong decision-making capabilities; have strong legal and analytical skills, as well as a strategic business sense and a successful track record as a pro-active leader.
- Must possess a positive, people-centric leadership style, be able to grasp complex problems quickly and provide reasonable direction and counsel.
- A self-starter who has initiative and is a quick study who has the ability to thrive in an environment responsive to and inspired by new ideas.
Qualifications & Experience:
- A strategic thinker with a minimum of 10 years as a practicing corporate lawyer and 5 years as a Vice President & General Counsel.
- Experience working on matters of corporate governance and with a board of directors is required.
- Experience dealing with the SEC and experience with securities law.
- Broad experience in intellectual property law including patent law, licensing of IP rights, and IP due diligence;
- Experience managing other attorneys and supervising support staff in a corporation is required as well as experience with cost effective management of outside legal resources.
- Exceptional verbal, written and executive-level presentation skills, professional, and diplomacy skills
- Experience in both a small and large company environment in highly desirable. Must be comfortable in an entrepreneurial environment with limited support.
What We Offer You:
- A collaborative work environment with colleagues who care about each other and the success of their organization
- A workplace where you are treated fairly, compensated competitively, and can learn and develop your skills
- A chance to join an industry which is saving lives and changing the shape of healthcare
- A very fun and supportive environment in a fast-growing organization where there is never a dull moment
Interested candidates should submit their resume to General Counsel.